A cluttered kitchen causes stress, and the combination of feeling stressed and having a messy kitchen can help influence you to eat more. If you want to cut down on snack eating and maintain better control over your family’s eating habits, keep your kitchen clean and orderly. Photo by Victoria Watercolor/Pixabay.
Keeping your kitchen clean is not just good for hygiene, but it can also help you lose weight. In fact, studies have shown that our eating behaviors are influenced by the cleanliness and orderliness of our kitchens, and people who keep their kitchens clean tend to eat healthier and are more likely to maintain a healthy weight.
For anyone that would like to maintain better control over their eating habits, let’s explore a few of the the scientific and psychological reasons why cleaning your kitchen can help you lose weight.
Clean your kitchen and keep it clean
A cluttered kitchen causes stress, and its rare if someone can consciously think “don’t snack” when sitting in their kitchen. So the combination of feeling stressed and having a messy kitchen is likely to induce your unconscious decision making tendencies that make you want to go find and eat food. If you want to cut down on snack eating, simply cleaning your kitchen and keeping it clean can help to curb those fiendish cravings in your brain.
Reduced Food Temptations
When your kitchen is cluttered and disorganized, it can be difficult to find healthy foods, and easier to reach for high-calorie, high-fat snacks. On the other hand, if your kitchen is clean and well-organized, you will be more likely to make healthier food choices, which can help you lose weight. To reduce food temptations, follow these kitchen cleaning tips:
- Store healthy foods, such as fruits and vegetables, at eye level in your refrigerator and pantry.
- Keep your countertops clean and clutter-free, which will help you stay focused on making healthy choices.
- Keep unhealthy foods, such as chips and candy, out of sight and in opaque containers, especially the sugary high calorie snacks that the eating system is most likely to crave.
Helpful Household Tip – Put unhealthy foods in opaque containers and out of site, especially the sugary, high calorie snacks that we’re most likely to crave!
Reduced Stress and Anxiety
A cluttered and disorganized kitchen can be stressful, and stress can lead to overeating. When you have a clean and organized kitchen, you will feel more relaxed, which can help you make better food choices and reduce stress-related eating. A messy kitchen can also be anxiety-inducing, which can also lead to stress-related eating. To reduce stress and anxiety, try these kitchen cleaning tips:
- Keep your kitchen clean and clutter-free, which will help you feel more relaxed and less stressed
- Use calming scents, such as lavender, to make your kitchen a more relaxing space.
- Consider using a sound machine or calming music to help you feel more relaxed in your kitchen.
More Physical Activity
Cleaning your kitchen can be a great workout. Sweeping, mopping, and wiping down surfaces can burn calories and get your heart rate up. Plus, when your kitchen is clean and organized, you will be more likely to spend time in there preparing healthy meals, which can also help you lose weight. To increase physical activity, try these kitchen cleaning tips:
- Use cleaning as an opportunity to get some exercise.
- Make meal prep a priority, which will encourage you to spend more time in your kitchen and burn more calories.
- If you work at home and use the kitchen as your office, try using a standing desk or a balance ball as an alternative to sitting while you work, which can help you burn more calories and improve your posture.
When you have a clean and organized kitchen, you will feel more motivated to cook healthy meals and eat well. Seeing a tidy kitchen can give you a sense of accomplishment, which can inspire you to make positive changes in other areas of your life. To increase motivation, try these kitchen cleaning tips:
- Keep your well organized and make it a more inviting space.
- Display healthy foods, such as a bowl of fruit, to inspire you to make healthier choices.
- Use motivational quotes or artwork in your kitchen to help you stay focused on your health and fitness goals.
A clean kitchen can help you exercise self-control when it comes to food. When your kitchen is cluttered and disorganized, it can be easy to give in to cravings and make poor food choices. But when your kitchen is clean and organized, you will be more likely to exercise self-control and make healthier choices. To improve self-control, try these kitchen cleaning tips:
- Keep unhealthy foods out of your kitchen to reduce temptation.
- Use portion control tools, such as measuring cups and spoons, to help you control your food intake.
- Keep healthy snacks, such as nuts or carrots, within reach for when hunger strikes.
Cleaning your kitchen and keeping it clean can have a positive impact on your weight loss journey. By reducing food temptations, stress, and anxiety, and by increasing motivation and self-control while also promoting physical activity, a clean kitchen can help you make healthier food choices and maintain a healthy weight. So, if you’re looking to lose weight, consider giving your kitchen a good cleaning and see how it can benefit your health and wellbeing.